Socrates and I Realize We Know Nothing

I drank to avoid my sadness and the too-rapid changes in my life. It felt good. I laughed at what used to make me cry. Drinking was fun, and I enjoyed fun. If it gave me pleasure, I concluded it would give me pleasure again.

And again.

And again.

That's how this addict was created. I enjoyed drinking and I never wanted to stop. To stop meant discomfort and the return of the sadness I drank to avoid.

I needed more and more alcohol to get that same enjoyment. Eventually, no amount brought enjoyment, just sadness all over again.

Image result for socrates picsUltimately, I found God. It was He who removed my sadness. I rediscovered myself, but this was a new self. Socrates said it well:

"I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again."

Now I won't do it again. Socrates also said, "The more I know, the more I realize I know nothing."

I wish I had been wiser before alcohol took over. In sobriety, I realize I know nothing. The wiser I get the less I know.

Comments