It was the Best of Reasons, the Worst of Reasons



I am taking advantage of staying put so I don't participate in spreading the coronavirus, in part, by watching TV shows I've recorded. This afternoon, it's the 1935 version of A Tale of Two Cities.

After being acquitted for treason, Charles Darnay dines with his defense lawyer, a drunk named Sydney Carton, and asks him why drink so much. Carton says, "You are smug, Mr Darnay, to ask why people drink, but I will tell you. So that they can stand their fellow men better. And after a few bottles, I might even like you."

I can identify. I found little quarrel with others during and after drinking. Some drunks are fighters, some are lovers. I clearly was the latter.

Now sober, I find God to be a much better catalyst to tolerate my fellow men. God wants us to love everyone, even those hard to love. Since I seek to do God's will, I now find it easy to care about others; maybe even "stand (my) fellow men."

Comments