"God Could And Would If He Were Sought"

We all know alcoholics who have gotten well. I hope you are one. I am one. At least so far today I am.

Several years ago, I spent 28 days at a residential treatment program. One of our facilitators claimed that 95% of us would return to drinking. I scoffed. Not me. But I did.

Then I discovered a new way of life and a new way to see myself and my environment. Praise God for that! A.A. meetings put me in touch with other alcoholics on the road to recovery.

Praying, Kneeling, Pray, People, ManOne of those joyful travelers asked why some people get well and others don't. We decided the answer lies in a phrase from the Big Book that is part of every pre-meeting ritual: "...God could and would if He were sought."
I used to think God chose me to get well because He has important things for me to do. But in reality, I chose me to recover. He does have important things for me to do, but I had to pick myself out of the gutter first.

The key words from the Big Book quote are, "if He were sought." We must take action if God is going to cure us from this fatal disease. I am sober because I  want to be and I took a variety of measures to get there and stay there. God wants me to be sober and do His will. But if I were out there still drinking, God would stand by as I threw myself on the junk pile of damaged souls. It's my choice. And yours.

Comments