Coronavirus Brings Unique Risks to Recovering Alcoholics

Comments at the A.A. meeting I attended Thursday night got me to thinking about the coronavirus and how it might be particularly hazardous to us alcoholics.

Zombie Ice Cream, Green Icecream Skull
For example, I used to be an impulse drinker. Even though I was trying to stop, I could find excuses to buy another bottle. The coronavirus seems like a good excuse to people who may be like I was. "What the heck. I might get sick. I might be quarantined. I might choose on my own to stay home away from people. So I might as well stock up with whiskey and drink my way through the pandemic."

My Thursday meeting was poorly attended. It might have been the storms in the area at the same time. Maybe people were staying away from others to avoid illness. What I do know is that a week ago we had more at that meeting than ever before. I hear many alcoholics say they have to go to A.A. to stay well-grounded and sober.

What will happen to such people if others stop going? More likely, what if churches where some meetings are held, including the one I am referring to, shut their doors to A.A. meetings? The Kentucky governor has strongly suggested churches discontinue services and programs.

A.A. meetings across town, across the state, and across the world are vulnerable to cancellation and weak attendance. If you are a recovering alcoholic susceptible to these scenarios, be sure you have something else in your bag of tricks to ensure you don't allow the coronavirus to cause a relapse. For me, A.A. isn't my only savior from the demon rum. I can rely on other booze repellants.

Speaking of "savior," remember that God is still with you. This is a test of our spirituality and sobriety. Don't let John Barleycorn lead you down the wrong highway. Stay strong, pray, and call others, such as your sponsor.

These extraordinary times can't be an excuse to let your sobriety slip away.

Comments