We Must Discover Holiness in our Hole

If you find yourself digging a deeper and deeper hole, the logical first step is to get rid of the shovel. Then you can plan how to get out.


Digging hole on a white background vector illustration"You hit bottom when you stop digging," the Big Book says on page 325. As long as that shovel was available, however, I was determined  to keep digging. I didn't really want to stop, even though I told others I did.


A narrative in the Big Book, "It might Have Been Worse," describes our predicament. "Again I promised to do something about it (drinking). Broken promises, humiliation, hopelessness, worry, anxiety -- but still not enough (to make me lay down my shovel)....

"Like all alcoholics I wanted to handle my problem my own way, which really meant I didn't want anything to interfere with my drinking. I was trying to find an easier, softer way."

Right in front of me was God. He had been there the hole time, waiting for me to find the answers on my own. He isn't an easier, softer answer, but He is the answer. I gave Him my shovel. He lifted me out of the pit I had dug for myself. A.A., Antabuse, counseling, the Big Book, support from my wife, a newfound self -- they all helped me escape my hole and love my whole self.

Now I sponsor another man. He is working hard through difficult circumstances, but I carry a rope all the time in case I need to pull him from his own troubles. I am joyous, happy, and free. If you're not there yet, start with God. There is no escaping addiction without a power greater than yourself.

Comments