The Beatles: "All You Need Is Love"

Let's take a statement out of context. "Everything I needed was provided."

Heaven rainAfter you got sober and stayed sober, is this a statement that pertains to you? Does your Higher Power give you everything you need? If not, what is missing? What do you need -- I repeat, need -- in your life you are not receiving?


I thought about this, and you know, I can't think of  a thing I need that isn't already mine. Christmas is two weeks from today. I expect to find things I can use under the tree, but nothing in the wrapping will be anything I need.
Realizing that all my needs are being met adds to my peace and serenity. Maybe it helps that I live in a nice house with plenty to eat, a warm bed at night, a loving family, two cars, a cell phone, yada yada. But what about the man living under a highway? If he is a recovering alcoholic or former addict and now uses no more, is God meeting his needs?

Hmmm, That sounds like something worth some research. Is the recovering alcoholic sleeping under a bridge in that condition because he does nothing to improve his situation? Does he choose that lifestyle? Is he still working on himself to change? Is God using him to minister to others still seeking a Higher Power and sobriety?

I don't have any answers, but I find this interesting to consider. What about your life? Is everything you need being provided? Now let me put that quote into context, on page 380 of the Big Book:

"...God works in my life. No longer did I have to drink, but it was much more than that. Everything I needed was provided. I had a God of my understanding that helped me in every aspect of my life.

"In working the steps, my life changed. I think differently today; I feel different today. I am new. We have a sign at the A.A. meetings I go to that says, 'Expect a Miracle.' My sobriety is full of miracles."

Comments