Thank God I Am Perfect AND Humble

I don't mean to insult the religion or spirituality of your choice, but I feel like I have to point something out: Many Christians believe their religion is the only true way to worship. Jews claim to be the chosen people.

The Act Of, Dryad, Goddess Of Forest, Goddess, ForestWhat's up with that? We have a right to our beliefs, but we should allow others the right to theirs.

Isn't it right to have that right?

I don't know if my spiritual beliefs are true any more than you do. All I do know is that God guides my life. That's good enough for me. If your scripture claims I am headed to hell for faith different than yours, I'm sorry you are afflicted with spiritual perfectionism.

I thought about this today because of a post in Faces and Voices of Recovery. Please read it, consider it, and try to see what I mean:

Paul Noiles shared a post.

Image may contain: text

Trust me I know. ðŸ¤£

Here are a few examples of Spiritual Perfectionism:
1) My spiritual practice is not good enough unless everything is going well.
2) I must be positive 24 hours a day.
3) I must be in the NOW, or my life will suck.
4) If I am not feeling well, then I must be doing something wrong.
5) (I believe) there is a magic formula to having a spiritual awakening.
6) I am more spiritual than you are.
7) My spiritual practice, my mentor, my religion, my yoga practice, my way to pray, is better or the best way.
Ghost, Spectrum, Spirit, Priestess, MagaAt the heart of it, Spiritual Perfectionism is about trying to impress others instead of looking more deeply at oneself. It's a game of one-upmanship and being unaware that our ego-mind has taken us over. It’s like cancer that spreads into every area of our lives....I can even see it within the 12-step fellowship with those who think their recovery is better than others.' Or turn the 12-step program into a religious one with sayings like:
• A.A. is the only way you will recover.
• You have to hit rock bottom.
• Preaching fear to the newcomer by telling them they will die without the program....
Another helpful tip is to remember that Spiritual Awakening is not linear; it's up and back, sideways, all around and all over the place. Sometimes there is even a desert period (like Moses in the bible), and it's just as crucial to our journey.
Remember, we are (ALL) 100 percent spiritual beings! No one is better than anyone else. The only difference between any two people is that one might be more aware of their 100 percent spiritual beingness at that current moment than the other. Knowing this helps me stay humble and not judge others' recovery or spiritual practice.

Comments