Laundry Soap Is More Fun Than Beer

Here are some interesting statements from A.A. meetings.

Washing, Woman, Laundry, Wash, ClothingDonna said it's a big deal just to do her own laundry now that she is sober. I can say the same thing about keeping the house clean and doing yard work.

Someone said once that becoming sober is like adolescence. That's an interesting metaphor. Our bodies and minds are going through major changes. Sometimes emotions take over. We might have a desire to go back -- to our childhoods or to using. It feels like the discomfort is permanent despite what others tell us. Remember, not even mountains last forever. Adolescence passed and so will this.

Bill found his work became his new addiction. It enabled him to avoid family and alcohol, but something still was missing. He started going back to A.A. meetings, and I assume he found what he needed. Like all of us, he rediscovered the support and personal accountability we find at A.A. The meetings strengthen our spirituality, restore ourselves, and provide opportunities to help others..

I don't go to as many meetings as I used to. Usually I attend three a week. In my case, it's all I need for now. Other activities keep my mind and body busy. If I start sinking I am well attuned to my mental state and can attend more meetings or return to counseling or call my sponsor.

Vintage, Old Fashioned, VictorianHow about you? Are you attending enough meetings to keep spiritually fit? Do you have backup plans, especially if you live someplace where there aren't meetings all day as there are in Louisville? Do what you have to do to become or stay sober.

And enjoy doing the laundry.

Comments