Lost in the Rough, Found on the Green

Cindy said something at A.A. that I thought was very perceptive. She usually goes on about her health, her daughter, and her mother. This goes to show it pays to always be listening or some valuable gem might remain unearthed.

"I feel sorry for people out there who don't drink," Cindy said, "because it's so much harder for them to find themselves."

Hey, I was lost for a long time and didn't even know it. I probably still would be wandering among the tall weeds if I hadn't found God, and thus myself, as I sobered from drinking. Working the Twelve Steps was eye-opening.

I think most important to me were the Fourth Step and Fifth Step. I made a moral inventory of myself, looking deep inside of me to identify my shortcomings. Then I admitted to myself, to God, and to another human being (my sponsor) those wrongs I identified in Step Four.

I still work on my flaws. Before, I didn't recognize those flaws, so how the heck was I supposed to improve myself? Now when I slip up, I have a chance to learn from my mistakes. I think that makes me a better person.

God thinks so too, I bet.

Comments