God Winks at You Every Day

As I grew up (that means in my 20s and 30s) I thought miracles happened only in Biblical times. Furthermore, I wasn't all too sure they truly happened even then.

I've never been handed any stone tablets on any mountain. I never killed thousands of people -- or even one -- by following God's pre-battle instructions before I attacked some unfortunate city. No fish ever swallowed me, no burning bush ever spoke to me, and the Ohio River never parted so that I could walk to Indiana.

No, none of the biggies. But what I had been missing were the little miracles around me every day. God was at work and I never noticed. Not until I freed myself from alcohol -- a miracle itself -- was I able to witness God at work through me and others.

Smiley, Wink, Emoticon, Happy, FaceIsrael Baal Shem wrote, "The world is full of wonders and miracles, but man takes his little hand and covers his eyes and sees nothing."

Connie, an A.A. friend, described little miracles as "God Winks." I like that. Sometimes God uses people to pull a child from wreckage after a hurricane, enables a family to walk away from a burning car, and heals a sick person to whom doctors gave no hope. Those are heavy-duty miracles.

More often, "God winks."

"Life becomes precious and more special to us when we look for the little everyday miracles and get excited about the privileges of simply being human," Tim Hansel wrote.

Be on the lookout for ways God makes little miracles happen for us every day. There are no coincidences. Only winks from God.

Comments