Today Is the Tomorrow I Lied About Yesterday

It was easy for me to quit drinking. All I had to do was commit to quit tomorrow, then pour another beverage.

Unfortunately, tomorrows kept coming. The good news was I could keep on drinking today. There will be another tomorrow and I will quit then. Promise.

Mindfulness is all about paying attention to here and now. We can't change the past or the future. Great! I will drink in the here and now and tomorrow I will quit drinking for always.

Obviously there are more holes in this thinking than there are in a doughnut shop. Quit today. Now. That's what mindfulness is. Live in the moment, and the time to quit is right now. In this moment. Then do the same thing tomorrow and for the next 9,999 tomorrows.



"Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day of the year.
He is rich who owns the day
and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety...."
     --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments