Spend Love Now, Don't Hoard It

(Reprinted from my blog post August 9, 2018)

I pray before A.A. meetings and group therapy sessions that God will help me receive relevant messages I need at the moment, and that I will be moved to share helpful words God wants someone in the room to hear and absorb.

I have faith those prayers are answered. "The Bible tells us that when we plant seeds of faith in others' lives, we will have no idea how or when those seeds might actually take root and flourish. Your conversation today could lead to someone else's conversation tomorrow or next year." (The Complete Idiot's Guide to Faith, by my high school buddy, Rev. Charles "Chuck" Moore,  https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Faith/dp/1592574947?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1592574947)

Case in point: A few weeks ago in my group discussion at Better Alternatives Counseling in Louisville, we got into discussion of a member's recent loss of his father and his grieving. Greg made a comment I wrote down in the notebook I always carry.

Today in A.A., a member who is always there but rarely speaks, told of his son's friend who died yesterday at age 30. He said the deceased was like his own son and he was grieving the loss. I raised my hand and opened my notebook. I said I didn't know what made me write down Greg's comment that day (I really did know why, and so did most others in the room, I am sure), but I said I was moved to share it with them all:

"Grief is unspent love for the person gone."

I repeated it to let the meaning sink in and got a favorable murmur before the usual, "Thanks, Dan." I expect those seeds of Greg to be sowed more times at meetings and among friends. More may be planted by readers of this blog.

Spend your love today on family and others you know. When they are gone, it is too late for love, and all we are left with are grief and regret.

"Grief is unspent love for the person gone."

Comments