What've You Got to Say for Yourself?

Here are some thoughts on alcoholism I can relate to:

Craig Ferguson
“I found the prospect daunting, but somehow comforting, too, because the counselors insisted it could be done, and, after all, many of them were recovering alcoholics themselves.”
― Craig Ferguson, American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot

Vicki Covington
“If there’s one thing I learned in Alanon (sic), it’s that you got to face the music because it just grows louder when you ignore it.”
― Vicki Covington, Bird of Paradise

Craig Ferguson
“Those unexpected morality lessons provided by the trip had jolted me into some kind of action. It was time to jettison the past before the present jettisoned me. This was my first veiled attempt at recovery. Although perhaps I was just running away again....”
― Craig Ferguson, American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot
(Emphasis added)

Dina Kucera
“I felt empty and sad for years, and for a long, long time, alcohol worked. I’d drink, and all the sadness would go away. Not only did the sadness go away, but I was fantastic. I was beautiful, funny, I had a great figure, and I could do math. But at some point, the booze stopped working. That’s when drinking started sucking. Every time I drank, I could feel pieces of me leaving. I continued to drink until there was nothing left. Just emptiness.”
― Dina Kucera, Everything I Never Wanted to Be


Comments