We All Were Once Lost in Fog

My niece referred me to a website written by a recovering alcoholic she used to work with in Philadelphia. I feel moved to share with you a segment from her blog:

And it’s funny; I think that when the fog starts to lift from your brain and you don’t have anything to reach for to dull your senses whenever you’re feeling uncomfortable, you open yourself up to these little amazing moments because you notice things you didn’t notice before. You’re more present in the moment — which is a miracle in itself.
It’s a bit of a challenge when everything you notice makes you want to cry, but I’m told the emotional instability stuff will calm down the farther I get into sobriety.  https://jenwielgusjournalism.blog/2019/09/15/miracles/
I'm reminded of a Ralph Waldo Emerson quotation I pasted in my notebook when I took a mindfulness workshop last year:

     Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
     He is rich who owns the day,
and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.
     Finish every day and be done with it.
     You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in.
     Forget them as soon as you can,
tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.
     This day is too dear
with its hopes and invitations,
      to waste a moment on yesterdays.

Comments