Alcohol Turned David Cassidy From Idol to Idle

"So much wasted time."

These were the last words of David Cassidy as he died of liver shutdown due to alcohol poisoning. He was a heavy drinker and alcoholic going clear back to his Partridge Family days.

Much later, he was arrested for DUI in 2010, 2013, and 2014. He was sentenced to three months of rehab. After his release, David told Piers Morgan, "If I take another drink, I’m going to die, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. I’m dead. … It’s very humbling, and it’s also humiliating,” adding that admitting to his disease gave him hope.

"'I dropped to my knees, and I felt something go through me that was like, I felt this experience that was just, thank you God. I felt this relief,” Cassidy said. “I begged it, and I was crying and weeping like a little boy, like a, like a sobbing little infant, like I’m sure I did many times as a kid. And I felt this incredible sense of relief, because I stopped lying to myself.'” (https://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2018/06/david-cassidy-death-new-details-reveal-singer-was-never-diagnosed-with-dementia-002612327.html)

Unfortunately, that was a lie about lying. We alcoholics are prolific liars, and it didn't stop there. In February 2017, he fell off the wagon and off the stage during a concert, slurred his words, and forgot lyrics to even his oldest hits. His explanation: dementia.

"When you have spotlights in your eyes and you’ve had five eye surgeries, as I’ve had, and I’ve talked about it — I tripped on [a stage monitor]. But I certainly wasn’t intoxicated, and it has nothing to do with why I’m leaving [touring],” he told Dr. Phil shortly after footage of the concert surfaced. 
"Certainly, my dementia has contributed to the reason why I don’t want to go out and I don’t want to hear, ‘Well, he looked like he was drunk’ … I wasn’t.”

Cassidy died of liver failure a few months later at age 67.

He battled sadness his entire life, largely because his father, Jack Cassidy, was in love with his career and himself instead of with his son. The father died of a fire caused by a lit cigarette as he laid drunk in bed.

Near the end, David admitted to his addiction. "'The fact is that I lied about my drinking....' Then, his voice began to crack as he tried to explain himself. 'I did it to myself, man, I did this myself to cover up the sadness and the emptiness.'"



His real family and Partridge family were at his side when David died. Do you think he regretted ignoring his estranged daughter, actress Katie Cassidy, just as his own father had deserted him?

'"My father's last words were 'So much wasted time.' This will be a daily reminder to me to share gratitude with those I love as to never waste another minute.'"

But he must not have been talking about Katie. He specifically stated in his will that he would not "provide any benefits" to Katie or any "descendant" of hers. (https://www.nickiswift.com/97385/untold-truth-david-cassidy/)

Comments