I Don't Feed My Worm

I was watching an old episode of The Twilight Zone last night. "Old?" All the episodes are old now. Anyway, it was about an alcoholic who was about to lose his wife and son. He found a doctor on a matchbook cover and staggered in to see him late one night.

The Twilight Zone (1985)The doctor talked to him about his drinking, then gave him a pill.That was all. It turned out the pill contained the larvae of a hellgramite, a worm that attaches to the stomach wall and grows when fed alcohol.

The man had terrible abdominal pain. But in the end, he was sober and well and passed the matchbook cover to another drunk.

There's a lot of symbolism there. The one I want to point out is that the pill that made drinking sick and painful is like the antabuse I take. I credit that drug for playing a big role in my ongoing recovery. If I drink I will become miserably sick. Antabuse is my hellgramite.

You can see the entire episode at https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-pty-pty_email&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&hspart=pty&p=twilight+zone+episodes+stomach+worm+alcoholics#id=1&vid=75689ce2723683b03883563a8e645a8e&action=click.

Comments