I Couldn't Find My Bowl of Cherries

"Life is difficult. This is a great truth....

"Most do not fully see this truth that life is difficult. Instead they moan more or less incessantly, noisily or subtly, about the enormity of their problems, their burdens, and their difficulties as if life were generally easy, as if life should be easy." -- M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveledhttp://www.mscottpeck.com/

But life "is a series of problems." We each deal with life in our own way. Some of us turn to alcohol and drugs, which is what this blog is all about. Pain, I heard recently at an A.A. meeting, is necessary; suffering is optional.

I chose to suffer after a series of unanticipated "tragedies" left me depressed. I had never had so much turn so rotten so quickly in my life and so had never experienced depression. The only fix that seemed to work was alcohol.

Ironically, alcohol itself is a depressant. But if I drank enough, the earth stopped turning for a little while until I regained consciousness.

I tried inhouse treatment, outhouse treatment, therapy, banging my head against the wall, exercise, TV, eating more, eating less, banging my head against the carpeted floor -- nothing worked as well as drinking.

Then I discovered God, the name I give to my higher power. According to the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, "We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a power  greater than ourselves. Obviously.,,, We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, and all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek."

It's hard work. It takes great self searching. But eventually you really will get it -- "sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly." Get a sponsor. Work the Twelve Steps. Listen to those who found the right path. God already is inside you within the collective unconscious we all share. You just have to seek and eventually find Him.

Comments