You Can Choose Your Friends But You Can't Choose Your Family

I am so dagone fortunate to have the close, loving family I have. The Boak family and mine were good friends long ago. We attended the same church, we belonged to the Busy Beavers camping club, we watched football games at each others' homes, and we took vacations together.

Stick with me on this, please. I am leading to a Big Book point.

Boaks had two daughters. The younger one called me her big brother because she didn't have one. The older daughter, in 1977, called me her husband. Thus our families were forever linked. Some of us live far away from each other, but relish every opportunity to be together. The last time was for christmas; the next time will be in Ohio this July for our annual family campout.

Our latest family joy is that my sister, who has lived in Idaho for the past 35 years or so, and her husband are moving to Louisville next month and will share our home until they are on their feet. I am flying out to help them load a rental truck and drive with them across the country. Then only my younger daughter in Colorado will be a long trip away.

Few people have a family like mine. Thank you, God, for such a blessing! But if you aren't as fortunate as we, love what you've got and do all you can to draw family members together, even if some don't get along -- yet. Bury differences and embrace the love.

Here is what The Big Book has to say on the subject: "Let each family play together or separately, as much as their circumstances warrant. We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a veil of tears, though it was just that for many of us.... We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative."

P.S.  I heard that song again on my way home from A.A., this time on a different station. See my blog from yesterday. Embrace the words and the spirit of that song by Lauren Daigle. In part, it goes like this:



You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing
You say I am strong when I think I am weak
You say I am held when I am falling short
When I don't belong, oh You say that I am Yours
And I believe, oh I believe
What you say of me
I believe

http://freeccm.com/2018/09/05/behind-the-song-lauren-daigle-shares-the-heart-behind-her-single-you-say/

Comments