Higher Power Comes Lovingly In All Shapes and Sizes

(This was originally posted on June 15, 2018.)

I had a Sunday School teacher when I was in high school who believed the Bible was the infallible word of God, no questions asked. That kind of blind belief was met by teenage doubts and questioning. One Sunday, she left the room to let us discuss "firing" her. We did. Our new teacher allowed us to openly discuss Bible stories, what they meant, and if they were literally true.

I never lost my faith in a higher power, but I never found Him/Her, for example, as the one who flooded the entire earth except for Noah and his arkful.

Today's A.A. Daily Reflection says, "I couldn't accept the concept of a Higher Power because I believed God was cruel and unloving. In desperation I chose a table, a tree, then my A.A. group, as my Higher Power. Time passed, my life improved, and I began to wonder about this Higher Power. Gradually, with patience, humility and a lot of questions, I came to believe in God. Now my relationship with my Higher Power gives me the strength to live a happy, sober life."

At my home group meeting today, Jim said he stumbled down that same road. "The coffee pot used to be my higher power, but it ran empty. Then the doorknob was my higher power, but it turned on me."

We must come to believe in some form of a higher power if we ever are going to get and remain sober. If you don't see a burning bush, try a doorknob. The truth eventually will come and set you free.

Comments