Going Up?

Everything happens for a reason. We hear it said often. Sometimes the reason becomes instantly apparent; sometimes it never does. But God truly is working miracles, whether clear to us or not.

Today's A.A. Daily Reflection is an example of God obviously working through someone and his fear:

"...During the first three years of sobriety I had a fear of entering an elevator alone. One day I decided I must walk through this fear. I asked for God's help, entered the elevator, and there in the corner was a lady crying. She said that since her husband had died she was deathly afraid of elevators. I forgot my fear and comforted her. This spiritual experience helped me to see how willingness was the key to working the rest of the Twelve Steps to recovery. God helps those who help themselves."

Then there is the young woman I tried to help since childhood. She simply couldn't break her heroin addiction and she died last month. On the surface, it seemed she accomplished nothing and that her life was a waste of oxygen. But she left behind five children. I don't know what has happened with them now. But I expect one or more of those lives will someday make clear that their mother's life was not in vain.

Comments