If a Tree Is Planted Today, Does It Make a Sound Tomorrow?

The Daily Reflection of A.A. for March 29 leaves me unsure. After all, I am older now and my days are numbered. Well, my days always have been numbered, but it's a much smaller number now.

This is what the Daily Reflection said:

"In Zorba the Greek, Nikos Kazantzakis describes an encounter between his principal character and an old man busily at work planting a tree. 'What is it you are doing?' Zorba asks. The old man replies: 'You can see very well what I’m doing, my son, I’m planting a tree.' 'But why plant a tree,' Zorba asks, 'if you won’t be able to see it bear fruit?' And the old man answers: 'I, my son, live as though I were never going to die.' The response brings a faint smile to Zorba’s lips and, as he walks away, he exclaims with a note of irony: 'How strange—I live as though I were going to die tomorrow!'"

So how am I supposed to live? As if I will live forever or as if this is my last day? If I am going to live forever, I can plant all the trees I want with assurance I will see them bear fruit. If I die tomorrow, I need to be sure I cross every T today and make all my amends (Step 9). I will live my last day as if nothing matters, because to me, it doesn't.

Yea but to someone else, it does matter.

I figured out that others can enjoy fruit from my labors today. I can plant good will and pay it forward so others can taste the fruit of my labors. Every tree planted will help somebody later. If I am still around to enjoy it, I will, and I will share my harvest with others.

Comments