With God As Director, the Show Can Go On

Lincoln comes to our noontime A.A. meetings once in a while. He is a big, strong-looking guy with a preacheresque voice. At one meeting he confided about Step Three, "I was willing to turn my life over to the care of God, but I was afraid to give it up."

That's the antithesis of the driver who says, "Here. You steer for a while. I'm gonna take a nap."

Page 62 of the Big Book should  be helpful to all you Lincolns out there: "First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn't work. Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone [See the blog post below this one.] of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom."

This step isn't easy. How can we trust an invisible spirit to take all control? On page 63 is a prayer worth praying. Say it often and consider seriously its meaning. I will print it her, but I am changing the King James language of the Big Book:

"God, I offer myself to You -- to build with me and to do with me as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I might better do Your will. Take away my difficulties so that victory over them will show others Your power, Your love, and Your way of life. May I always do your will."

Comments