Shut Out Inner Noise Makers and Trust Your Guts

Women's panel talk shows, news debates, and sports shows filling the gap between halves all annoy me. Participants all think they have something to say and they say it: loudly, over the voices of others. "Hear me! I am right and, furthermore, what I have to say is witty."

When I face choices between actions I should follow, my brain erupts in a similar shouting match. Eventually, I come to hush the cacophony and sort through the voices to make a decision. Call it a hunch. Call it intuition. Call it a feeling, a sense. Call it the voice of God. No matter what you call it, I come to learn which inner voice to listen to. How about you?

What voice is God's will, and what voice is mine trying to out-shout God? I find the best way to receive and carry out the right message, the solution to God's test, is to step back. Take a couple days off. Maybe a week. When I do that, I can act with more confidence I am following God's will. I ace His test! But not if I let the loudest inner voice get in my way.

Y'know, That's how I kept relapsing. A drink will make me feel better and help me make the right choice, I thought. The more drinks, the more I am sure I am right. That was me talking, but my gut was trying to tell me something else.

How stupid of me! I needed to wait a day. Wait a week.

Your heart will lie to you. Your mind will lie to you. But your gut never lies. That gut feeling, I think, is the voice of God. Listen and follow it.

Comments