It's One Small Step for Us, One Giant Leap for God

I want to point something out about the relationship between two of A.A.'s Twelve Steps.

First, Step 3:

"Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."

Then, Step 11:

"Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

Step 3 makes me think of  meeting a new friend and asking him to do something for me. "Take over my will and my life, please."

By Step 11 I know this friend better, and now I'm willing to do something nice for Him. "Hey, y'know, I would be happy to spend more time with you, and if you want me to do something for you, just let me know what your will for me is."

Sep 11 strikes me as being a follow-up to Step 3. After Steps 4-10, I have come to know God better and my hope is to do His will for me. Before the steps, I was messing up my life. By Step 11, I became eager to do God's will instead of my own.

The 12 Steps are a hard journey. Come take the trip with me and turn your life over to God. You will be amazed.

Comments