"...As You Trudge the Road to Happy Destiny"

What if I were out with a group of friends. I never hung out in bars, so let's say I am on a trail in the woods with the hiking group I have trekked with before. One of them introduces me to someone new. We lag at the back of  the pack, talking sports and hobbies and interests. After we spend time together, this man I thought was a friend suddenly sneered, "I am going to control your life."

What would you do in a similar situation? Would you agree to meet after the hike to see what he means? Would you scoff and tell yourself you never would agree to something so ridiculous? Would you distance yourself from this awful person? Or maybe you would say, "Sure! While you're at it, I will divorce my wife, give up my kids, leave my job, and enable you to be my higher power."

You can see what I am getting at. I made friends with alcohol and let it control my life. How stupid I was! I made a mistake. I lost money and self esteem to enable -- actually, invite -- alcohol to control my life.

In time, I escaped that hiker's clutches, kicked him out of my life, accepted a new higher power I call God, and found another hiking group.

You can too. It is never too late.

Comments