We're Never Too Old To Slip Off the Wagon

Bill is an old man. I can call him that because it's unlikely he ever will visit this blog. He carries a portable oxygen tank and stretches two clear tubes for O2 into his nostrils. Always he wears a cap that labels him "Old Fart." I find his speech hard to understand. Perhaps he had a stroke.

Later this month, Bill will be recognized for 41 years of sobriety.

I share this because he attends the same A.A. meeting I go to two or three times a week. I am approaching one year and believe I need A.A. for the sobriety and camaraderie. He apparently believes he needs the same thing after 40 years and 11 months.

The point is, "Keep coming back!" Alcoholics never are cured. We merely are granted a reprieve, day by day. So good for Bill!

If you ever think you have abstained long enough that you don't need A.A., don't need your higher power, don't believe one social drink will hurt you, remember Bill. He knows what he needs to do to live his 42nd year sober. I trust his experience.

Comments