Tips to Avoid the Gloom of Winter Blahs

I don't like this time of year. We are well into winter and far from warm springtime temperatures. Most of the country, including here, is shrouded in a gloomy covering of gray that seemingly never lifts. Days such as these are when my depression used to peak.

So far, I seem to be handling dim days better than I used to, for several possible reasons. I bought a Happy Light that is supposed to lift one's spirits when dullness dominates. I have it turned on me as I write this. My relationship with my wife is better than it has been in recent years. I aim to watch funny movies and TV shows. I keep myself busy in my days of retirement.

On top of all that, I am not drinking -- not filling my brain with that overwhelming depressant. I feel God inside me all the time. It isn't my imagination. I know God and feel His presence whatever I am doing. I talk out loud to Him throughout the day, as if He is a buddy that stopped by for a chat.

And then there is what Dottie said at A.A. yesterday. "I have inside sunshine. I got my program and you people."

So do I, Dottie. You and I envelop ourselves with loving people who understand us. A.A.'s searchlight is our call away from the winter blahs.

If you feel down and depressed, try these cures. Or come up with your own. Regardless, keep in  mind the groundhog didn't see his shadow this year, so winter is supposed to be over. But I dunno. Last week's winter vortex f-f-f-froze the country -- including Punxsutawney.

Comments