"Hello Darkness My Old Friend"

Today's dark present will be tomorrow's dark past.

Someone said that at a recent A.A. meeting. That's good to think about on these dark, dreary, winter days. It seems like it rains eight days a week, and thick, dark clouds shroud us all the time. I can't wait for spring weather!

When spring arrives with sunshine and warm days and baseball season, this dark day will be nothing more than a dark past. Budding trees and daffodils will
actually make that dark past seem not so bad, because without the darkness, I would take the light for granted.

Do you recognize the metafor? I don't like my dark drinking days. They make me embarrassed and ashamed. But without them, what would my life be like today? The sun would shine less brightly.

I try not to mourn my past, but I don't shut the door on it, either. Those dark drinking days weren't wasted. They got me here. And "here" is a joyful place to be.

Comments