Be Honest About Alcoholism to Help Others Understand

"Look at all my trials a tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
What's that in the bread? It's gone to my head
'Till this morning is this evening, life is fine...."
     -- from Jesus Christ Superstar

Certainly alcoholics walked this earth ever since humans learned about fermentation. Not until the 20th Century, however, did scientists begin to understand how alcohol works in the body and brain. Some "regular people" still don't understand us.

"While alcoholism is widely accepted as a disease today, until very recent years was it considered a psychological or moral issue." -- Staying Sober, by Terrence Gorski and Merlene Miller (https://www.amazon.com/Staying-Sober-Guide-Relapse-Prevention/dp/083090459X/ref=sr_1_3/137-2378647-5105957?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1549817655&sr=1-3&keywords=staying+sober)

I used to be embarrassed by my alcohol addiction. I was afraid others would think I was mentally ill or had lost my moral compass. Maybe some of my Facebook friends I confessed to really do look down on me as a sinner or a nut.

I can't worry about that. If I am afraid of what people think, I will keep silent about my problem and miss a chance to reach out to other alcoholics who are quiet for the same reason.

I don't announce my alcoholism from a mountain top, nor do I confess to people I just met. Yet we must not be afraid to come out of our closet when people in the room might benefit from our stories.

Comments