The Foot Bone's Connected To the Ankle Bone -- I think

[First published June 29, 2018]

When it comes to hands, I'm not very handy. When it comes to following written instructions, A+B=3 for me.

I set the directions to anything aside and try to figure out how all the pieces go together and in what order. I always have to tear it apart and start over. If the directions are sketches without words, I find nothing looks like the illustrations in real life. And when the instructions are comprised of both words and pictures, I might as well go straight to the Japanese translation because that will do me just as much good.

Thank the God of my choice that life comes with instructions. They are called the 12 Steps.  They're not just for alcoholics and addicts, but for anyone looking for a better life. Unfortunately, few people follow them. See   https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/smf-121_en.pdf

For me, those steps once were a staircase to nowhere. It wasn't until I spent 28 days at The Brook in Louisville, where we worked steps 1-7, that I came to understand how those 12 could help me. I keep steps 10-12 -- the ongoing forever steps -- in front of me. That's how I can continually better myself and help others.

The 12 Steps aren't easy, for sure. But work your way through them, in order, and you will be rewarded. It's not as bad as trying to find tab A to put into slot B.

Comments