Smooth Sailing From This Pair 'a Docks

[First published June 17. 2018]

Today's paradox: I regret the way I used to live, but I love my life left behind out of the ruins.

I wouldn't know people I know, I wouldn't know myself I now know, and I wouldn't be able to help those still struggling with alcohol addiction. This passage from Staying Sober by Terence T. Gorski and Merlene Miller reminds me of the me I used to be. Sound familiar?

"Mood swings are common as the person uses the drug to feel better but is unable to maintain the good feelings. As life becomes more and more drug centered, there is less and less control over behavior. Activities that interfere with drinking or using are given up. Getting ready to use, using, and recovering from using become the life activities of addicted people. They do things while drinking they would not do sober. While sober, they structure their lives to protect their using. They break promises, forget commitments, lie -- all to be able to use. Isolation is common.... Drug seeking behavior becomes a lifestyle."

Far better to center lifestyle around trusting God, cleaning house, and helping others.

Comments