My Ego's Owies No Longer Hurt

I had surgery last month to  my right hand. I had two problems, so I had two incisions. They hurt now! It seemed they were healing well, but now they are red and extremely sensitive to touch. The physical therapist I see twice a week said the tenderness is part of the healing process.

If only they would be less tender!

This morning I said to myself, "Self! This is a metaphor for another form of tenderness."

I use to take insults and criticism quite seriously. They hurt, and sometimes took a long time to heal -- if ever. The Big Book, therapy, and other helpful resources taught me to let criticism go. If someone doesn't like me, so what? Plenty of others do. I don't have to sulk. I don't have to drink.

To become less sensitive is to become less hurt. Once the scar tissue in my hand goes away, sensitivity will be gone too. Likewise, negativity directed toward me doesn't hurt any more. I have become desensitized. And having learned that lesson, I no longer attack others, face to face or behind their backs.

Such learning comes in handy.

Comments