How to Leave Your Resentments at the Side of the Road

Marty told a good story yesterday at A.A. It shows us that resentments are in the eye of the beholder.

He was driving his business' truck somewhere and picked up a call from the dispatcher. He asked, "Are you all right, Marty?" He said he was. "Is anything wrong?" No, why? "Someone called and said your truck was weaving."

Of all the nerve! That guy should be minding his own business. As Marty thought about it, the resentment built to a breaking point. How dare someone report him when he was driving just fine!

Marty called his sponsor and related the story about the busy-body. The sponsor replied, "Did you get fired?" No. "Did you have a wreck?" No. "Did you run over someone?" No. "Did you have a personal injury?" No.

"Then why are you resentful? Maybe the person who made the call was concerned about your safety and the safety of others. He did you a favor. Maybe he did a favor to others on the road. You need to forgive him and love him for what he did. Let the resentment go."

Marty said he thought about that and realized his sponsor was right. Maybe he lost concentration and did weave a little. Maybe the next time this person reports erratic driving he really will save lives. Marty's resentment went away. The man probably had good intentions. He forgave him and said a prayer.

Someone sometime years ago, when I was feeling upset about something at work, asked me, "Did anyone die? Was anyone hurt? Then it's no big deal."

I ask myself those two questions when I am agitated, and then I feel better. In my alcohol days, such distress was enough to lead me to a bottle of poison. Now I let stuff roll off, just like Marty's sponsor advised.

Unless you are hanging onto the edge of a cliff, just let go.

Comments