"Good Morning, Mister Sunshine; You Brighten(ed) Up My Day"

I like the BeeGees a lot. I still enjoy listening to their music; the old stuff and the disco songs. Yet I didn't know all their close harmony hid divisive secrets.

I watched a documentary last night about Maurice's death. I never heard what happened to him. First, there was the death of younger brother Andy due to drugs. Maurice, I learned, shared a love of the white powder. In addition, he drank heavily and smoked like a smoldering campfire.

He was just in his early 50s when he had severe stomach pains. He went to the hospital and, after much debate, doctors performed emergency surgery. Apparently, he had a congenital intestinal problem that took all those years to go bad. Based on the autopsy, it's also likely that abusing nicotine, drugs, and alcohol  contributed to his early death. If anything, that deadly trio prevented Maurice from overcoming a coma after surgery.

His family made the devastating decision to remove him from life support.

I thought of Maurice this afternoon at my A.A. home group meeting when O .B. said that without seeking help, we are locked up, covered up, or grow up.

Comments