Some Defects We Can't Return To the Store

Discovering character defects means coming face to face with the bad "us." Until I take action to admit my defects to God, myself, and another human being (Step 5) and then relegate ooops'es solely to the rearview mirror, I am stuck with staring down the ugly me. How to I refrain from beating myself up for what suddenly seems to be obvious flaws?

A book I have read twice is Awakening in Time by Jacquelyn Small (https://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Time-Journey-Codependence-Co-Creation/dp/0939344181/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544474202&sr=1-2&keywords=awakening+in+time). She gets a bit heady for me with chakras and their respective glands and colors (whatever all that means), but I highlighted many parts of the book to refer to later. One such passage helps me accept myself, defects and all:

"From the Higher Self's perspective, I do not judge my weaknesses and vulnerabilities as 'bad;' I simply note them for what they are -- with compassion. I see that I'm not perfect. But at the same time, I know that I am also a mature person. I'm doing the best I can and am willing to grow and learn. I quit feeling shame and allow myself to see and honor my childish or threatened self, which just naturally has some character flaws."

My prayer today: God, may I use my character defects (like drinking) to do your will.

Comments