One Step at a Time; Or Maybe All Six; Or Maybe None

[First published June 4, 2018]

I carry in my wallet at all times my six Defenses to fend off relapse temptations. Yours will be different than mine; you need to come up with what will help you. After I share my Defenses, I will then share a secret with you.

1. Do something else. Take a walk, go to a meeting, etc.

2. Read some self-help books, including but not limited to the Big Book.

3. Eat something spicy or sweet.

4. Call my sponsor or someone else who can help -- including my very own little sister.

5. Call my wife.

6. Start over with #1.

Now for the secret I promised. Every time I relapse I ignore my six Defenses. I decided I wanted to drink and doggonit I don't want anything to stop me. After all, I can quit anytime, I will just drink a little at a time, I will only drink at night, I will only drink on weekends, blah blah blah.

Write down your own defenses. And then follow them!!!

Comments