Not a Creature Was Stirring, Not Even Myself

I just spent one of my best Christmases ever. Of course I spent it sober. I am approaching eight months, my best streak without slips or relapses.

I went to Grove City, Pennsylvania, along with my wife, my older daughter, and my mother-in-law. We had a family lunch with all my family and all my wife's family. We had about 20 people. The only ones missing were my younger daughter and a sister, who both live out West.

This was a long trek away from my worst Christmas ever, three years ago. We planned the same family get-together seven hours from Louisville. I was looking forward to it, but not to the long trip. I relaxed the night before with enough vodka to help me sleep, and a little more so I could be semi-conscious the next morning.

I don't remember a lot. I got a phone call from my wife. She was on her way to Pennsylvania without me. She said she tried to wake me up but couldn't. So she and my daughter left without me. That meant all my family saw I was missing in drunk-action. There was no hiding my alcoholism, if it was ever hiding before that. I was left behind without car keys, money, or a credit card. There was nothing to do but sit by the tree and detox all alone for several days.

As soon as Christmas was over and the decorations were stored away, I was given back my keys to go to A.A. I took money from my wife's purse. "I'll show her!" I got drunk all over again.

This year was a Christmas to remember; one I will be able to remember for a long time.

Comments