I Can Lend Just One Hand

I am going in for hand surgery today. I have what's called a trigger finger and carpal tunnel. I also have arthritis in my thumbs, but no surgery can help that.

I will be anesthetized.  My hand will be heavily bandaged afterward, so I don't know if I will be able to blog for a while. They tell me I won't experience any pain after the surgery, so I  won't need any pain killers.

No pain killers is good news for recovering alcoholics. Some drugs interact, and our brains may be easily addicted to to certain medications. I used to have a list of such drugs from my first out-patient treatment at JADAC here in Louisville, but I can't find it. So instead, here is some advice from Be Med Wise (http://www.bemedwise.org/medication-safety/medication-interactions):

"Alcohol can cause moderate to serious, and in some cases even fatal, interactions with more than 150 medications, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/). For example, alcohol can interact with medications that depress the central nervous system, which include some sleep medications, anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medicines, seizure medications, and others. Similarly, some medications prescribed for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease also can interact adversely with alcohol.... Ask your health care professional for guidance."

Comments