Symptoms of Alcoholism

[First published May 19, 2008]

I often hear newbies wonder if they have an alcohol problem. For me, the best evidence is if I can make my planned last drink of the day really my last drink. And do I find myself thinking of alcohol and looking forward to my next close encounter of the fifth kind?

I found some other symptoms of alcoholism when I looked over https://www.cliffsidemalibu.com/happens-negative-impacts-alcohol-become-unbearable/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpo-%20is%20a%20broad%20category%20to%20considerymfiR2wIVTb7ACh1HkAnGEAAYAiAAEgIdpfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

"For those who are on the fence, there's another important question to ask: Has alcohol negatively impacted your health? Though health and wellness is a broad category to consider, the most specific thing to look at is physical health. Do you ever wake up with 'the shakes?' Have you noticed more intense bouts of anxiety or depression? Do you feel foggy or forgetful? Have you sustained any physical injuries due to drinking?

"While the above are only short-term issues, the CDC reports that problems like these can intensify if left unchecked. More serious health issues caused by heavy drinking may include high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, cancer, dementia, digestive issues, alcoholism, coma, and even death.

"Still, health is not limited only to physical issues but also to other aspects of your life, like relationships, for example. Have you noticed any recurring issues with your romantic partners or significant other? If you're a parent, has there been any tension between you and your children? Do you have a balanced and fulfilling social life? Do  you have a healthy sex life or are you prone to risky and impulsive behaviors?

"While the answers to the above questions my not be directly related to your alcohol consumption, studies have shown that excessive drinking can negatively affect a variety of our social behaviors as well as our actual health. Perhaps most important to consider in all the above is that all of these problems are avoidable. Without having to resort to labels like 'alcoholic' or 'addict,' the first step to recovery is the desire to find a better way of life. For those who feel their life has become unmanageable with their current drinking habits, all that remains is to ask for help."  (emphasis added)

Asking for help was the hard part for me. But I felt better when I finally reached out.

Comments