Staying Sober, One Basketball Game at a Time

Home basketball season opened last night for the University of Louisville women's basketball team. I have been a season ticket holder for several years, just a few rows up in the corner of the KFC Yum! Center. We have made the final four three times, including last year, and played in the national championship twice, getting clobbered both times by Connecticut. Ugh!

 I enjoyed the game last night immensely, We beat Miami (Ohio) by 22 points. What made the game so great was that I watched it completely sober.

I missed a few games in the past because I was too drunk. One time I went and forgot where I parked the car. During the first round of the NCAA tournament last spring, which we hosted here, I saw us beat Boise State, but I was only half there. I didn't make it to game 2. On the way there, I rear-ended a car and woke up in the  emergency room. I wasn't hurt, but I was completely out of it. I don't remember the accident or the ambulance ride.

So, how fun was drinking? It must have been fun, because I continued doing it for two more months. I am nearing seven months sober now!!

Addiction made me do some terribly stupid things. If you are drinking to excess, please be smarter than I was. Identify your triggers, get professional help, go to A.A. meetings, find your higher power, and consider taking Antabuse. I needed all those things to get to where I am today, one day at a time.

Comments