Perfection Is Not a Destination, But a Journey

At my A.A. homegroup Monday, the topic swung to the difference between striving for something and  achieving perfection. A couple of people vaguely recalled something Thomas Merton wrote.

After entering a Trappist monastery, Merton became a prolific writer about contemplation, Catholic spirituality, social justice, and politics. His political writings focused on non-violent resistance in combating social, racial, and injustice in the 1960s. He died in 1968.

We weren't sure what Merton wrote about striving and perfection, so I looked it up. His quotes echo The Big Book, page 60: "We are not saints. The point is that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines."


The following speaks clearly to me about my sobriety and my relationship to God. Reading it is a "Wow!" moment:


Comments