How to Change the Strain in Our Brain

A.A., the Twelve Steps, sponsors, people at meetings, counseling.... None of it makes any difference.

Huh? you say. Let me explain, I reply.

None of that stuff helped me at all -- until I opened my mind and chose them. Until I accepted that I was traveling a wrong path and wanted to get well, nothing could ever help one iota. My mind had to become fertile ground.

I believed in a higher power all right. But I didn't BELIEVE in a higher power. I kinda sorta wanted to change, but only if I could do it my way.

Thank God I surrendered, embraced all the help that was there to be harvested, and literally embraced fellow A.A. members. "At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not.... Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely." (the Big Book, page 58)

How about you? Are you willing to admit you are powerless over alcohol? See Steps 1-3 to get started.

Comments