A Reason for It All

[First published on May 18]

Everything happens for a reason -- even alcoholism. I'm still searching for my reason, but I know it's out there somewhere. I must stop relapsing, learn patience, and trust God.

Maybe my reason for drinking is to remake my character. Maybe my reason is to write this blog. Maybe one or more of you who read this site will be inspired in some way. I dunno. But there must be a reason for my Buick to steer into a ditch.

I like what the Big Book says on page 457. "So as I have worked the program, I have grown emotionally and intellectually. I not only have peace with God, I have the peace of God through an active God consciousness. I not only have recovered from alcoholism, I have become whole in person -- body, spirit, and soul."

It is a paradox, but alcoholism is helping me become a better person.

Comments