We Might Be a GPS On the Road of Life

I used to work with kids from financially deprived families. Some had parents lost in drugs and alcohol. Some had no idea what love was but knew something was missing in their homes. Some suffered abuse. All were growing up among classmates who lived lives that appeared better, more successful -- and unattainable.

I tried to show them there were choices in life. That was tough. One girl in middle school told me the power to her house was turned off every month because her parents hadn't paid the bill. She and her younger brothers had to get ready for school in the dark, unaware of what clothes they had put on or how unkempt their hair was. Sometimes those same kids prepared for school without running water. How can one make a difference in lives like these?

I tell you this because I don't really know if taking these kids to restaurants, sporting events, or even to my house, which at that time was home to a functioning model family, ever taught them there was a different way to live. Years later, I am friends with many of these "kids" on Facebook. I run into some from time to time. Some are married with families and good jobs. Others struggle with drug abuse and jail time. The point is I never know if I made any positive influence on them as they grew up, or maybe, perhaps, in their adult lives.

But I don't have to know. I showed them the fork in the road so that they could make their own choices.

And so it is in our recovery. Words we say at A.A. meetings or friendly gestures might mean something to someone. We will never know.

Take the testimony from the back of the Big Book that is called, "Empty on the Inside." (page 518-519) At her second meeting, she sat quietly in the back where she wouldn't have to talk to anyone.

"When it came time to hold hands and pray at the end of the meeting, I had no hand to hold on one side. I remember thinking 'I will never fit in here' and hanging my head. I felt my hand being taken -- someone in front of me had taken the tine to be sure the circle was complete. To this day I don't know who it was, but that person is the reason I came back the next night -- that person saved my life. And I kept coming back."

A smile. A handshake. A "Glad you're here" greeting. We never know what little things might make a difference. Sponsoring others is an obvious gesture that we care. Just don't forget the little things that might be our way of doing God's will, to reach out to others. Be sure that circle is complete.

Comments