Oh Lord It's Hard To Be Humble

My exploration into the inner me, instigated by a desire to stay sober, has showed me I need to turn up the dial on my humility. Most of my earlier life was filled with successes in my work and personal life. I think I was an egotist. Then when my highly polished armor developed some chinks, my feelings of superiority were replaced by feelings of inferiority.

A.A.'s Big Book and counselors helped me to balance the two. Accepting my fate as an alcoholic was humiliating, especially for someone like me.

"...we are not human beings learning to be spiritual; we are spiritual beings learning to be human. In fact, we've found that when people are out of touch with the inner life, they are far more prone to addictions of all kinds. They only look outside themselves for gratification and validation." (Awakening In Time, Jacquelyn Small,   https://books.google.com/books/about/Awakening_in_Time.html?id=J0hY7iqxg48C)

In God's eyes we are all equal. That realization is helping me to become more humble. "A disease [like alcoholism] can be a series of humiliations, a chisel for humility."(Laurel Lee)

And here, just for fun, is part of a song by Mac Davis:

...Some folks say that I'm "egotistical"
Well I don't even know what that means.
I guess it has something to do with the Way that I fill out my skintight blue jeans.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble When you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror 
Cause I get better looking each day To know me is to love me...

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/mac+davis/its+hard+to+be+humble_20315919.html

Comments