No More Standing In Long Lines At God's Service Desk

It is more blessed to give than to receive. That's a boring old cliche, but it is still the truth. When I was a child, all that mattered at Christmas was what Santa had brought me. Birthdays were even better because it was me and me only receiving gifts from people who loved me.

As an adult, I once had a friend who gave me a vase, just because he saw it and thought of me. I pretended to be grateful, but it was butt-ugly. I knew from the name on the box where he had bought it, so a few days later I exchanged it for a set of towels, which I needed and were more practical.

My friend came over a couple months later. I didn't think of the vase or the towels until he asked me where I was displaying his kind gift. My face got hot. My voice failed me. Do I make up a lie or tell him the truth? I stammered around until I told the truth about what I had done with the vase he had picked out and paid for, just for me.

I could tell his feelings were hurt, We made small talk briefly until he said he had to leave. We never were close after that, and I was sure it was because I had degifted.

What about God's gift of sobriety? I cringe when remembering how many times I relapsed. I suppose I knew I was giving back this precious gift God had chosen just for me. But those stupid "towels" were more important so I kept on drinking.

I made that same mistake again and again. A.A., therapy, and finding an
inner peace I hadn't known before brought me to see the love in God's gift I kept returning. Now I hold on tightly to His gift of sobriety. I thank Him every day and show my appreciation by helping others fight the battles that scarred me.

From page 484 of The Big Book, I found this gem: "To me sobriety is a gift from God to me. If I drank it would be giving the gift back.... If God takes it back, I'm dead."

Comments