Hey All Yinz: It's a Steelers Game Day for Me in a Bar

* Yinz is a second-person plural pronoun used mainly in Western Pennsylvania English, most prominently in Pittsburgh....  -- Wikipedia

It's Sunday; another day of NFL football. Sadly again, our local CBS affiliate thinks more people in the Louisville area want to watch the Colts than the Steelers -- even a Steelers-Bengals game like today's. I see more license plates and stickers announcing Steelers fandom around Louisville than, perhaps, every other team put together.

The point is, when I can't watch the Steelers at home, I go to Buffalo Wild Wings, a chain of restaurant/bars that shows all games on large-screen TVs. I wear Steelers garb and enjoy that more people there are cheering for the Steelers than for anyone -- including the Colts.

For the second time this season, my daughter is going with me. She likes football and inherited my Steelers DNA (I was born and raised near Pittsburgh). I don't know if she goes to watch the games or to keep an eye on me at the bar. She asked last time if it bothered me to be at a place where beer and liquor were flowing.

I have no problem with that. On page 101 of The Big Book, it says, "So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there. That includes bars, nightclubs, dances, receptions, weddings, even plain whoopee parties. To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic, this may seem like tempting Providence, but it isn't.

",,,Therefore, ask yourself on each occasion, 'Have I any good social, business, or personal reason for going to this place? Or am I expecting to steal a little vicarious pleasure from the atmosphere of such places?'  If you answer these questions satisfactorily, you need have no apprehension. Go or stay away, whichever seems best. But be sure you are on solid spiritual ground before you start. Take a Terrible Towel if that will keep you grounded. Eat wings and drink iced tea. But be sure to stay sober and outyell any Bengals fans that might be there."

Okay, I may have paraphrased that last part. But the basic advice is good. If you have legitimate reason to be where the alcohol is flowing and are certain your spiritual self will keep you strong, go ahead and go.

Otherwise, say home, stay dry, and watch the Colts.

Comments