Achieving Death And Sobriety With Dignity

I am reading Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsh (http://www.nealedonaldwalsch.com/). He writes as if he were asking God questions about living and being and then he answers them. Some of what "God" says fits my beliefs, some I don't understand, and some I reject. A.A. has taught me to respect the beliefs of others when I don't agree. We all have a right to be wrong. Including me.

One part of the book speaks out to me, given I just lost my father-in-law after his long stretch of discomfort, pain, and dementia. The God in the book tells Walsh:

"The entire medical profession is trained to keep people alive, rather than keeping people comfortable so they can die with dignity.

"You see, to a doctor or nurse death is a failure,,,, Only to the soul is death a relief -- a release.

"The greatest gift you can give the dying is to let them die in peace -- not thinking they must 'hang on,' or continue to suffer, or worry about you at this most crucial passage in their life....

"It is at the moment of death that we learn who, in the body-mind-soul triumvirate, is running things."

Our family chose to let Karl go in peace. His soul was running things.

What is the connection here with alcoholism? It is our faith in God that sets us free from addiction. It is that same faith, that acceptance of God's will, that heals us. Step 3: "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over the the care of God as we understood him."

Comments