Out of Booze? Out of Control: Part 9 of 12

I hope this series of blog posts will enable you to recognize some symptoms of relapse. I meant well and tried hard, but I kept relapsing anyway. There was often a nagging little voice telling me to go ahead and try a drink. Maybe this series of blog posts will help you or a loved one break out of the relapse pattern sooner and easier than I did.

Terence T. Gorski, co-author of Staying Sober, identified 11 phases of relapse in his book Staying Sober (https://www.amazon.com/Terence-T.-Gorski/e/B001JSA9K8). I hope you will find this series helpful enough to review again and again -- at once or in parts. An idea might be to checkmark symptoms in the 11 phases to see if you or a loved one is in danger of relapsing. Then take action.

Gorski's research involved 118 recovering patients who had four things in common:

They completed a 21- or 28-day rehab program;
They recognized they could never again safely use alcohol;
They intended to remain sober forever through A.A. and outpatient counseling;
They had eventually relapsed to drinking despite 1-3.

Symptoms and Warning Signs of Relapse

Phase 8. Behavioral loss of control. During this phase, you lose control of thoughts, feelings, and behavior. You can't stick to a productive daily schedule. Life is chaotic, but you still don't admit your life is out of control.

π‘‚½  Irregular attendance at A.A. and other treatment. You find excuses to miss therapy and self-help meetings like A.A. You think such counseling isn't doing any good and that you have better things to do.

π‘‚½   An "I don't care" attitude. I can relate to this one. I pretended helpful resources didn't matter. I thought alcohol wasn't going to hurt my body or brain. Self-respect and self-confidence shrank.

π‘‚½    Open rejection of help. You cut yourself off from people who care. You have fits of anger, criticize, and put others down so you can withdraw from them.

π‘‚½   Dissatisfaction with life. Oh, my! Things seem so bad you think you might as well go back to drinking because life can't get any worse. "Life has become unmanageable," in the words of Step 1.

π‘‚½   Feelings of powerless and helplessness. (See Step 2.) You can't think clearly or concentrate. You feel there is no way out of this mess. Except maybe to drink.

Next Up: Phase 9: Recognition of loss of control

Three to go, so bear with me!

Comments