O, the Weather Outside Is Frightful, But My Joy Is So Delightful!

The Bible says, " For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes, 3:1)

My season is winter.

It's hard for me to run anymore. Or go down steps without a handrail. My daughters are approaching middle age. It's still summer for them, but autumn isn't far away. My hands are stiff with arthritis. Even interesting TV shows put me to sleep. I forget stuff, but I remember when we had no personal computers or cell phones. Or blogs.

Yeah, winter is setting in all right. I was in just 32 when the Bangles sang, "Look around. Leaves are brown. And the sky is a hazy shade of winter." Now I know what that means.

But now doesn't have to be the winter of our discontent. (I tinkered with Gloucester's quote from Richard III.) This season has given me a new look at life. I found God, and then He led me to sobriety. That changed everything. I have an opportunity to influence alcoholics and others. I'm pleased when a family member calls to unburden herself and, maybe, take advantage of insights I didn't have in the summer of my life. My wisdom broadens.

Many times in my life, I felt I was flying blind. I guess that's because I really was flying blind. For a time, I didn't care much. But when my eyes opened and I wanted to see all that is around me, I gave up drinking and lying.

If you haven't done so yet, get rid of those blinders and embrace whatever season you are in. You can't find God with a closed mind. Talk to those who have found faith. Read inspirational and self-help books to clear the cobwebs from your brain. Get a sponsor. Work the 12 Steps.

"...all seems shrouded in mist. We start to panic and cry out to God, It's dark out there. I can't even see! And God, if I can't see, then maybe you can't see! And if you can't see, I'm going down for sure!"

Have faith. "Because God's will is good, we can embrace joy rather than fear. When we truly believe God's will is good, we have no reason to fear." (Choose Joyhttp://kaywarren.com/choosejoy/)

The Bangles again: "Time, time,
time. See what's become of me...."

What's become of me is a good thing because it's a God thing.

Comments